Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

More Sneaky Veggies

I just made Stuffed Shells. Mmmm...

I added spinach and cauliflower! How? I bought some frozen cauliflower and pureed it. That enabled me to skip the whole steaming/boiling process. And I bought a can of spinach. Also, skipping a few steps. I mixed them both right into the cheese mixture. My oldest (the picky one) tasted the cheese mixture and....... she loved it. I make my sauce homemade, so it's healthier anyways. Plus, its sooooo easy. Just make your own once and I'll bet you'll never go back to the jar stuff.

Now, it would've been easy for me to throw in some peas and carrots into the sauce. This time I did use red and yellow bell peppers--out of convenience and the need to use them before they spoiled. The red peppers blended right in. I like to use diced tomatoes in my sauce for texture. This sauce can be used for homemade pizza too! And we all know how kids love that. Don't be scared to puree or mash some veggies that are steamed, boiled, or even canned and blend them right in. Then the sauce can be used for dipping mozzarella sticks or bread sticks. The options are endless.

Here are a few sites to get you started. And BTW, I
do not use meat in my sauce--its not my family's tradition.

Sweet Savory Southern site

All Recipes


Wikihow--includes video!

Kids cooking About.com

Low Cal from Fitness and freebies


Johnna Knows Good Food: Yum Yum Gimme Some

One using carrots to avoid sugar!

From a Fellow Blogspot Blogger--jar turned gourmet?






1 comment:

  1. yes, this sounds good. so I will be over for dinner in about, oh, 8 hours...
    ;)
    thanks for the links, btw. I do like to find recipes online. ask me about mexican chicken soup sometime!

    ReplyDelete